The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) released its annual theatrical market statistics. The year 2009 was a solid year for the studios with $10.6 billion in box office take-in on the US and Canadian market although attendance remained stagnant at 1.42 billion tickets sold. What I want to focus in is the demographics of the population actually going to the movie theater:
- 67% of the population over the age of 2 has gone to the movies at least once last year. What is the other 33% thinking?
- The average movie-goer attended 6.5 movies in 2009
- The frequent movie-goer (one movie a month or more) comprises 10% of the population but makes up 50% of total ticket sales. Good job everyone
- Possibly the most interesting fact is that women make up 55% of all ticket sales: Now this destroys the myth that the average movie-goer is a male obsessed with brainless action movies but raises other important questions: Why is Hollywood a male-dominated industry? This only makes the dearth of quality roles and movies for women that much more perplexing.
- Young people age 18-24 comprise nearly 20% of all ticket sales despite being representing only 10% of the population. This obviously shows the rapid transformation the motion picture market has gone through the last couple decades as the main fares are now kids’ friendly movies instead of the R-rated movies of the past.
- Hispanics are more likely to go to the movie theater than other ethnic groups. Weird but interesting.