This is Day 3 of 31 Days to Build a Better Blog, a group project we are doing together in an attempt to improve our blogs and help each other become better bloggers. You can read more about it and still sign-up to participate here. Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to stay updated on the project.
Happy to see some solid participation on the first two days of our 31DBBB! Today we are going to talk about promoting your blog posts. Thank you to all of you who participated on Monday and/or Tuesday, let’s keep up the effort and I hope everyone is having a good time and taking the steps to become better bloggers.
- Day 1 (Monday): Write an Elevator Pitch For Your Blog
- Day 2 (Tuesday): Write a List Post on your blog
- Day 3 (Wednesday): Promote a Blog Post
- Day 4 (Thursday): Analyze a Top Blog in your Niche
- Day 5 (Friday): Must-Read Tips and Tutorials for Bloggers
We have all been there (or still are): You put your heart out typing a post you are proud of, publish it with great expectations of people reading and talking about it but ultimately, all you hear is crickets. Most bloggers believe that if they put out great content, readers will come their way automatically. Nothing could be farther from the truth! This is why there is thousands of blogs out there who aren’t read by more than the owner himself and maybe her mother even though the content seems good enough. Successful bloggers proactively promote their content and the more successful they are, the more they promote!
Let me ask you this: What did you do yesterday to promote that list you spent time typing as your assignment?
How to Promote Your Content
- Social Networks: Twitter and Facebook are excellent ways to reach hundreds or even thousands of people in one click. Of all those people, a few are bound to be interested in reading your content and share it with hundreds or thousands more!
- Getting other bloggers to link your post: Self-explanatory but requires some elbow grease and a very good post
- Social Bookmarks: Digg, Reddit, StumbleUpon and others are a great way of reaching thousands of potential readers. One thing though, those tend to generate massive but only temporary spike in traffic
- Commenting on other related blogs: writing helpful and insightful comments on related forums and blogs is an excellent way of driving traffic if your comment is genuine, relevant and sensitive to the discussion. Leaving links is frowned upon but if highly relevant, it’s totally ok (Don’t let me catch you copy/pasting the same comment + link on every blog in the community…)
- Internal links: Promote your post within your own site by making it visible from multiple pages
Take some time to look at the list posts you made yesterday and ask yourself where it might be appropriate to promote it. If you don’t think that it is really worthy of promotion anywhere – feel free to choose another post that you are prouder of to promote. If you don’t have one – you should spend some time today writing something that you feel IS link worthy and then try promoting that.
- What did you do to promote your list post from yesterday?
- What ways of promoting blog posts have you found to be most successful?
- What other innovative ways have you promoted your blog or posts, that weren’t listed in today’s lesson?
- Reply & give other bloggers feedback on their promotion ideas.