On November 18, 2009, Anomalous Material officially became the movie blog that you are reading right now. In honor of our blog turning one-year old, I want to celebrate the many readers and contributors that have made this site so much fun to be part of. It truly has been a joy to share our love for films with the many readers, old and new, that have frequented this site over the past 12 months. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect Anomalous Material to ever be read by more than a handful of people but we are on pace to hit 100,000 visitors sometime in mid-November (Maybe on November 18? How fitting would that be?)
Some highlights of our first year
- 12,520 comments to date: Websites that make 10 or 100 times the traffic of AM have nothing on us in terms of comments. Thank you! Thank you to all of you who make this site so lively and fun! You are the ones who make AM go.
- Growing reach with so much untapped potential: We are on pace to hit 100,000 visitors in November for our first year anniversary and I feel like we haven’t even begun to reach our potential in terms of traffic.
- Heather was our top commenter with an incredible 620 comments since the start of this blog!!! Her awesome internet BFF Kaiderman is a smidge behind with 609!
- Welcoming my good friend Red as a valuable collaborator on the blog
- Getting to know so many people sharing the same love for movies!
- The Hollywood Fantasy Draft: Numerous participants have told me how addictive the draft was and how much they loved the concept. Truly, one of the highlight event during AM’s first year. Stay put for a second installment (with a twist) near the end of the year!
- The Top 125 Movies of The Aughties: A colossal task indeed but the first post that put our blog on the map!
- The Top 35 Acting Performances of the Decade (00′s): Our most viewed post to date. It badly needs an update ah!
- We discussed whether Hollywood stars are a dying breed, argued about whether they were overpaid, we looked at the true cost of making a Hollywood movie, and we wondered whether romantic comedies are a dead genre.
- The Greatest Comedy Tournament: Yes, we singlehandedly decided which movie is the best comedy of all-time.
Let’s see what the next year brings to us. Our focus will continue to be about fostering a community of movie lovers where one can come to have intelligent discussion about various movie topics and we hope to become better at that and make our blog a place that you can’t get enough of! Thanks to all of you, regular and irregular readers of Anomalous Material!
November Commenting Contests
To reward our readers, we are going to have another contest on the blog for the month of November. The person with the most comments for the month of November will win a DVD of Christopher Nolan’s blockbuster Inception (December 7th), shipped to you directly from Amazon. You can check the leaderboard near the bottom of the right sidebar.
A twist in this month’s contest is that each comment will count as an entry for a chance to win a paperback version of Neil’s Pasricha’s The Book of Awesome, a wonderful book that will give you new appreciation for the simple yet awesome things in life. The rules will be:
- The person with the most comments will win the DVD of Christopher Nolan’s Inception but will not be eligible to win Neil Pasricha’s The Book of Awesome.
- Everyone else will receive an entry for each comment left on the blog during the month of November. The more you comment, the more chances of winning.
- A winner will be picked randomly from the eligible entries and announced on December 1st, 2010. Prize will be shipped directly from Amazon.