And just like that, the Oscar race for Best Picture is already over. With still a month to go before the Academy Awards ceremony, The Artist has virtually locked in the little golden statue for Best Film of the year by winning both the PGA Award last week and now the Directors Guild Award.
Last night, director Michel Hazanavicius was crowned the Best Feature Film Director of 2011, shutting down the likes of Martin Scorsese (Hugo) and Alexander Payne (The Descendants). Winners of the top prize at the DGA Awards have gone on to win Best Picture nearly 80% of the time and given that the silent black-and-white film has been a runaway favorite for weeks now, the race is already over.
Check out the full list of winners below. The 84th Academy Awards ceremony will take place on February 26th.
Best Director for a Feature Film
- Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
- James Marsh, Project Nim
- Patty Jenkins, The Killing, “Pilot” (AMC)
- Robert B. Weide, Curb Your Enthusiasm, “Palestinian Chicken” (HBO)
Movies for Television and Miniseries
- Jon Cassar, The Kennedys (Reelz Channel)
- Neil P. Degroot, The Biggest Loser, “Episode #1115” (NBC)
- Glenn Weiss, 65th Annual Tony Awards (CBS)
- William Ludel, General Hospital, “Intervention” (ABC)
- Amy Schatz, A Child’s Garden of Poetry (HBO)
- Noam Murro, Ads for Heineken Premium Light, DirecTV, Volkswagen Tiguan, and EA Battlefield 3